When I travel, I always get sick. To help ease the pain, I dress like a gangster. My efforts to stay healthy have the bonus effect of making me look weird, so then I don’t have to endure hours of grueling small talk.
Here are five items I wear on (or apply to) my face while traveling:
1. Headphones I use Bose AE2 headphones to listen to Miles Davis or movies. I also travel with the Bose mobile headphones for later in the trip, but the big ones eliminate more chit chat! I put them on before I board. Walking through an airport with Kind of Blue on makes for a surreal experience that I highly recommend.
2. Sleep Mask I like this mask because it is made from foam, doesn't press against my eyes, and makes me look like Batman. I wait until I have boarded to wear it ;)
3. Scarf If I learned one thing from my old boss Gabe, who owns the delicious brewery Mucho Aloha, it is to cover your mouth and nose with a scarf during flights. The scarf traps your breath's moisture, keeping you from drying out. Plus, it keeps out nasty plane germs.
On the way to France in the winter, I used a rayon/ silk blend scarf. When headed to the tropics, I use a sarong that I can later use as a cover up. I have a silk one on here, but it sucked because it kept slipping.
4. Mints Singapore Air served salmon during one of my flights. It was fantastic, but breathing fish breath into my scarf for the next seven hours was not cool. Keep mints on hand!
5. Cleansing Wipes every meal, or after every nap, or heck just every hour or so, I use a facial wipe. Keeps the face moist and clean. I like Burt’s Bees The girl next to me wiped her seat down with a sanitizer wipe, which is also a great idea.
Don't be afraid to look gangster-ish to stay healthy and happy while flying. Just know that everyone else is sleeping off dramamine and engrossed in edited versions of scary movies to care or even glance your way.
Remember, luck is only found when being pursued.